Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:18:50 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW booting problems

> > > Why is the AlphaBIOS support still around, if NT isn't?
> >
> > Because there are obviously paying Compaq customers still running NT.
> >
> > > Does Tru64 work with AlphaBIOS?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > It seems that Compaq is either throwing money into continuing
> > > support for a useless console monitor, or that FreeBSD needs
> > > to switch over to using AlphaBIOS (uck).
> >
> > Neither.
>
> OK. Let me rephrase that.  FreeBSD needs to switch over to whatever
> code supports hardware that is not nearly impossible to buy.

FreeBSD doesn't need to switch at all, in that case.

I'm basically sick of this thread coming up every six months or so.
Folks; you just need to deal with reality, and frankly, pissing on about
which SCSI adapter is supported by ancient Alpha hardware has very little
at all to do with any sort of reality.

Get a life.

Oh, and if you want a supported disk adapter for an old Alpha, hit up
eBay for an old Mylex RAID controller with Alpha firmware.  You should be
able to get a single-channel unit for around $20 or so.