Date:      Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:49:45 -0600
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng woes

On 11/9/2012 6:32 AM, Beeblebrox wrote:

> - I did not realize that pkg2ng did not convert correctly, until portmaster
> started to try and install stuff that I knew was already on the system. Too
> late now. My db was probably problematic to start with
>
>  I have not tried portmaster with pkgdb yet but I understand recent versions
> of it support pkgng[/quote]
> - That's the point! pkgng broke my portmaster (and everyone else's) and now
> I resort to slogging through stuff.

This should not happen if you have the latest portmaster port and use
the PKGNGPATCH option.

> - I am planning on trying poudriere, installed it but have not gotten around
> to setting it up. Plus I want a web interface using lighttpd and I have to
> fiddle the instructions for jenkins to make it work. When I do set it up I
> can do a complete re-install. I did want an up-to-date system until I got
> around to it though.

It is not required that you use binary packages with pkgng. You can
continue using ports with portmaster/portupgrade just fine.

> I haven't used portupgrade in a few years, and I want to avoid going back to
> dealing with it's database issues[/quote]
> My sentiments exactly, but I am under the impression that pkgng and
> portupgrade use the same sqlite pkg database (*pkgdb* is a portupgrade
> feature) to track the installed packages, while portmaster is not quite yet
> integrated into that sqlite db.

No, portupgrade still has its own pkgdb, that feeds from the pkgng
sqlite database. This is temporary though and pkgdb will be going away
completely soon, as it is redundant with pkgng.

Portmaster *is* fully ready for pkgng, and does utilize the pkgng tools
to read from its database.

> Thanks for the suggestions, I have to urgently migrate to poudriere it seems
> :(

If you are having trouble using ports, please report the issues to the
maintainer or upstream as well.