Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:36:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DUMMYNET

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Patrick O'Reilly wrote:

> I want to allow all users on the LAN to browse (ports 80,443) outside of
> working hours, but during working hours this should be stopped.  Originally
> I added jobs in cron to add and remove the "ipfw add pipe x from $lanip to
> any 80,443" rule at certain times of day, and re-instate it at other times.
> It worked fine, but then I would lose the counter values from those ipfw
> rules.

Why not just insert/remove an appropriate deny rule above the pipe
instead? You'll keep your counter values on the pipe that way.

This is my best suggestion, having never attempted to tune dummynet
precisely. The dummynet(4) manpage talks about kernel option HZ which
doesn't bode well for extreme settings.

Joshua