Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 23:42:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>
To:        Kevin Way <kevin.way@overtone.org>
Cc:        Not Going to Tell You <luckywolf19@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible New Security Tool For FreeBSD, Need Your Help.

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Kevin Way wrote:

> > But by hidding the sshd port, maybe, just maybe, we can reduce the
> > number of script kiddies from trying sshd scripts.
> just a note that nobody has directly mentioned.  You're also exposing
> yourself to additional risks.

No one seems to have mentioned creating a SKIP gateway.  SKIP lost out to
IPSEC, but would add another layer of encryption, and most of the script
kiddies wouldn't know SKIP VPN if it bit 'em on the linux box.

Security via obsecurity (that is what the poke the port IDS is) isn't a
good solution.  SKIP has white papers about its drawbacks and
andvantages.  And it will go thru firewalls.