Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:28:58 GMT
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG

At 7:13 pm -0000 23/3/97, Terry Lambert wrote:
>I happen to disagree with the BSD interpretation of POSIX in this
>regard.  SVR4 is certified POSIX compliant, and they don't do what
>we do: they propagate group SIGHUP to all process group members.
>You can argue until you are blue in the face that SVR4 is "wrong",
>but to prove it to me you will have to get an SVR4 box to fail
>POSIX compliance testing.  You can't argue with success.

That's slightly off my point, which was that daemons (I probably mean
something like "sessions with no controlling tty") shouldn't get signalled
with HUP when multi-user operation is being ceased. Interactive sessions
should, because interactive shells don't respond to TERM.

I'll be going off into my POSIX sulk now...

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK