Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2007 03:33:50 +0100
From:      Stephen Allen <sdafreebsduk@rowyerboat.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD to authenticate against Active Directory

Hello,

Is there any up-to-date definitive resource which explains how to get
FreeBSD (6.2) to authenticate against Active Directory (in my case
Windows 2003 R2 which includes SFU).  There are a few informative
articles floating around, but most date back to 2004/2005 and most
involve the use of Samba and Winbind (I'd like to avoid this if possible).

I don't really know what is possible here, I'm coming from only a basic
understanding of how things like pam work.  Would I have to configure
every service separately to use Active Directory or could I tell FreeBSD
to blindly rely on AD for user authentication?

I read about pam_mkhomedir, so users could have homedirs created
automatically when they logged in.  Is this possible in FreeBSD?  Would
I be able to map this automatically to their existing "My Documents"
folder which is redirected to the network by group policy?

Please feel free to tell me what can/can't be done and if doing so is a
good/bad thing.  I can explain bits in more detail if needed.

Kind regards,
Steve