Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 21:51:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Testers please!

The file

	ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming/fixit_kernel

Contains the latest wonder, a complete fixit_floppy in one kernel.

Please try and boot it, and tell me what you think.

I don't think it will boot on a 4Mb system.  (The compressed image
is bigger than 1Mb and gets loaded @ 3Mb.)

If it says anything about "OnTrack disk manager" please send me email
and tell me if it looked right to you.

What is it ?

It's a kzip'ed (compressed) kernel with a MFS (memory filesystem) root
filesystem compiled in.  This means that you can boot it from anywhere,
including your harddisk (The dos-boot program needs a fix before it
will work, but that is underway).

Why is that special ?

	You can remount the root R/W without destroying your fixit-floppy
		mount -u mfs_root /

	You can mount another floppy if you want

	You can boot it of you harddisk/ms-dos partition (soon)/floppy
	or even over the network (!)

Have fun !
--
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@login.dknet.dk> -- TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
'All relevant people are pertinent' && 'All rude people are impertinent'