Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:53:44 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        David Naylor <blackdragon@highveldmail.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Project Ideas and a question

Quoting David Naylor <blackdragon@highveldmail.co.za> (Sat, 13 Oct 2007 09:59:45 +0200):

> I have some project ideas (due to lack of technical skills I can not pursue
> them at this time but that is no reason not to share :-).  If someone thinks
> an idea is a good one could you please add it to the appropriate location
> (the volunteer projects page???).  My ideas:
>
> 1) Automatic module loading.  Create a discovery system that upon identifying
> hardware that a module supports, loads the module.  This would probably be a
> user-land implementation?
> 	Motivation: Additional ease of use (especially with sound)

You don't always want to have every device active. What about a
modification to this: Create a discovery system that upon identifying
hardware that a module supports, prints out corresponding lines for
loader.conf and/or the kernel config.

> 2) Automatic kernel customisation.  A tool that builds a custom kernel with
> all the devices for the current system builtin and with everything not needed
> removed.
> 	Motivation: Take the hard work out of building a custom kernel]

How do you determine what is not needed? You may want to have some more
USB drivers in the tree even when not everything is connected ATM. The
same for wlan crypto stuff or other optional things. What about a
modification again: Create a tool that prints out all kernel modules
which are not in active use currently.

A tool can not replace the knowledge someone needs about a particular
subsystem of the kernel. Such a tool would allow you to identify things
you are not using currently, but you are still in charge to decide if
you really want to remove it or not.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
In 1962, you could buy a pair of SHARKSKIN SLACKS, with a "Continental
Belt," for $10.99!!