Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:48:55 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Hye-Shik Chang <perky@i18n.org>
Cc:        Khairil Yusof <kaeru@inigo-tech.com>
Subject:   Re: USE_ZOPE vs. python modules

Hye-Shik Chang wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:28:35AM +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> I'd like to see updating www/zope to 2.7 as soon as possible. I
> heard that 2.7 has enough backward-compatibility and we can avoid
> the problem then.  Because current port infrastructure doesn't allow
> multiple installations from a same origin, we'll need to introduce
> "instance" concept for pkgdb. eg.
>
> this line on Makefile
>
> PYTHON_INSTALL_PERVERSION=	yes

You don't want to have a variable named like that ;)

> applies bsd.python.mk
>
> .ifdef PYTHON_PERVERSION_INSTALLATION
> PKGINSTANCE=	${PYTHON_VERSION}
> .endif
>
> then check-already-installed target of bsd.pkg.mk checks
> @comment INSTANCE:python2.3
> and if current port has different instance string, allows further
> installation phases.
>
> This is still a rough sketch. And I think "instance" concept will
> be useful for apache/perl/ruby ports, too. What do you think on
> this?

It looks like you need extensive patches for this, especially to the
pkg_install in the base system, so this solution won't happen soon and
is not backwards compatible to older systems.

Apache and perl ports normally conflicts, so there can be only one, and
you can solve it by requiring the port you want to live with. The point
is that defaults should not change, depending on other options that can
change during the build. Defaulting to different perl versions depending
on OSREL is ok, since this doesn't change. Defaulting to different python
versions depending on USE_ZOPE is problematic.

Regards
    Oliver