Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 23:45:48 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
Subject:   Re: CD-R & SCSI Problems

As Tom Torrance at home wrote:

> > Turn on SCSIDEBUG, and see which command is causing it.  It might be a
> > LOAD UNLOAD MEDIUM, or PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL.
>
> Tried that. No additional information was output.

Hmm, i forgot to mention that you need to actually turn it on using
something like

	scsi -f /dev/rst0.ctl -d 0x7f

(Don't ask me for the actual meaning of the possible numbers after the
-d, i've never got a clue about them.)

> Present Mode:   Density = 0x45         Blocksize = 512 bytes

That's probably a vendor density code for the compressed mode.
Density codes 0x15 through 0x7e are marked as `reserved' in the SCSI-2
specs.  I have no idea what the SCSI-3 drafts say about them.

> Is there any possibility that the density table listed in
> scsiconf.h is seriously out of date?

It's the table from the SCSI-2 specs, and as such, represents the
official standard.

--
cheers, J"org