Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:07:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI devices settling and illegal request

John Polstra writes:
 > In article <15132.9197.86824.642979@grasshopper.cs.duke.edu>,
 > Andrew Gallatin  <gallatin@cs.duke.edu> wrote:
 > >
 > > The only cards I've seen that give a hoot what hose they're on are
 > > NCR/Sym cards.  I suppose video cards would need to be on the zeroth
 > > hose too..
 >
 > OK, I give up.  What's a "hose"?
 >
 > John

Modern server-class alphas (such as DS20, xp1000, AS4100, AS4000,
AS1200, etc) may have totally separate PCI buses, with separate IO and
memory spaces.  Like a normal bus, each of these can have ppbs to
child busses, etc.  We call each collection of buses a hose.  This
terminology comes from the SRM console.

See sys/alpha/pci/tsunami_pci.c and sys/alpha/mcbus/mcpcia.c for two
examples.

Drew