Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 10:40:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OSS

Hi;

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Stephen Roome wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 1997, Tony Kimball wrote:
>
> Doesn't OSS stand for "Open Sound System", doens't look very "open" to me
> anymore...

	it's not! I was somewhat frustrated by this, because one could
argue that hannu is making a buck off all of the folks that contributed
expertise in the early day.

	nonetheless, the list of stuff that is supported by oss is really
significant, and for folks who have just spent umpty-squidillion dollars
on a power pc running aix or some other spendy unix, 20.00 is a drop in
the hat. I suspect that 4front is not actually trying to sell oss licenses
to folks like us, it's just a way to pay the light bill. What they may be
trying to do is sell licenses to ibm, univell ( or whoever they are now ),
dell, dec, and all the other vendors of unixes that cost money.

> Was work on the FreeBSD sound drivers pretty much suspended waiting for
> OSS ? If so I'm worried, will it become $20NotFreeAnymoreBSD or will we
> have FreeBSD with no major sound driver changes for months ?

	i would say that that is a safe bet. if not by design, then by
default. i know i sort of hung out worring about other things.

	the sound directory is big and spooky, and in need of an effort on
the order of another mailinglist and even a core team. Most of the
competent folks in this area have pretty full plates. It seems unlikely
that people who have fires to fight with getting 100m ethernet support
fleshed out are going to have time to mess with this. it is sort of silly
and useless anyway.

	i expect to keep playing with it in the coming months, but i see
noone on the horizon willing to invest the energy to get this moving. it
is just going to be a dribs and drabs sort of thing.

> Steve.

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life