Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 21:43:14 -1000
From:      "Arthur W. Neilson III" <art@neilson.ddns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium or Pentium II for FreeBSD

At 08:50 PM 6/30/98 -0400, you wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, rick hamell wrote:
>
>> >   I  plan  to  change  motherboard  and  processor.  If it will be big
>> >   difference  in  efficiency  to use Pentium in comparison with Pentium
>> >   II?
>>
>> 	It's been my experience that AMD chips are a heck of a lot faster
>> then PII. For my desktop systems I use them at a quite substantial
>> savings. :) The only time I personally would use PII is in a Dual CPU
server.

>   Could you give a comparison between two systems, one PII and one AMD,
>where the AMD is faster. I'm not arguing, I was under the impression that
>the PII would run circles around just about anything. I have a couple of
>PII's here and I don't have any AMD's, but the PII is just awesome
>compared to the other Pentium w/MMX chips in the other machines.
>
>later
>Kelley

                          AMD K6-2 Processor Review
                            Winbench 98 Performance

                            Ziff Davis Winbench 98

                       CPU    FPU    Disk Winmark     Graphics Winmark
                   Winmark  Winmark  Business HighEnd Business HighEnd
  AMD K6-2 333        725    1140    2000     5210     166      199
Intel Pentium II 300  744    1530    1980     5170     147      191
Intel Pentium II 333  861    1710    2010     5470     166      218
Intel Pentium II 400  992    2050    2040     5560     193      256

                     NOTE: Higher Scores are Better

As far as Raw FPU power is concerned, the Pentium II has the title
locked down, however overall the K6-2 333 gives the more expensive
                Pentium II 333 a run for its money.

Check out the following URL for a comparison of the AMD K6-2 333
versus the Intel Pentium II.  Note that the AMD was installed on one
of the new Super7 boards out that has 100Mhz frontside bus (like the
Pentium II has).

http://www.anandtech.com/reviews/processors/amdk6-2/k62-6.html

Although the AMD is right in the ballpark with their K6-2 they still
don't have a chip as fast as the 400Mhz Pentium II.  Watch out though,
the K6-3 400Mhz is on it's way... stay tuned!!!