Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 09:53:12 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STB tuner

Steve Passe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I had a look around you web page and associated documents. It seems that
> > PAL versions of these cards are available. How compatible with the PAL
> > modes is your work?
>
> The basic driver already knows about it, and
> as for the tuner itself, I have seen no features that are programmable,
> either you get a board with a PAL tuner or an NTSC tuner (I think...)
> If you look at the tuner module page you will see what I mean:
>
> http://208.196.158.173/fi1200.html

I saw that, there are various PAL/NTSC/SECAM versions. What I was asking
(and you answered) is wheter there was some kind of issue with their diffs.

> there is an issue as to the station frequencies.  right now I'm just plugging
> in hard values (now can see all my local stations...).  but they are well
> documented, am thinking about whether to handle them computationally
> or with a lookup table.

I'm pretty sure that all countries use the same (VHF/UHF) frequencies for
their transmissions.

> > I am interested in getting one of these cards, and will galdly contribute
> > labour if required.
>
> to get this right many people will have to chip in, so that we can support
> all the various flavors of board/standards/etc.  I'm actually more worried
> about the audio than the video.  Evidently there are parameters for the stere
> chip stored in EPROM, with no documentation of their format

:-( What is the basis of the stereo? NICAM?

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE