Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:02:41 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, julian@whistle.com, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

>Bottom line is that by default FreeBSD w/SoftUpdates is more *unstable*
>now with CAM than it was w/out CAM for 99% of the users.

Please don't add any more FUD to this thread than there is already.

CAM has nothing to do with this issue.  Neither the old SCSI code nor the
new CAM code has ever modified the caching behavior of the devices attached
on the bus.  My position on this is that we should *never* modify device
mode parameters unless instructed to do so by the end user.  If the user
community insists that we add a warning about the cache being enabled, now,
after years of silently ignoring the effects of the cache on filesystem
integrity, so be it.  My opinion is that if this was a problem in practice,
we'd have heard about it by now from our user community.

--
Justin