Date:      05 Nov 2002 17:59:55 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
Cc:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing to HP845c attached to Win2K - over samba?

--=-cUaUrfn+e1z1VoJEQFEw

Hi Again!

On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 23:21, ScaryG wrote:
> On 04 Nov 2002 06:21:42 +0000
> Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
>=20
> >      I'm trying to set up printing over samba to an HP845c printer
> > attached (usb) to a Win2K box on the network.
>=20
>  Hi Stacey. I have almost the same setup working for me right now. FreeBS=
> 4.4 is my "main" box, and I have a Win2K box with an HP930C connected to
> it, and I can print from my FreeBSD box over to the HP.

This *is* encouraging, indeed!
>=20
>  This took me a LONG time to get working, and once, after I let
> portupgrade lose on my machine for a couple days I broke the printing
> thing for months before I finally decided to try and fix it.
>=20
>  I was unable to find any clear documentation on this. Even though I trie=
> to document what I did to fix it, I didn't do a good job on that either.
> So be warned!
>=20
>  I found I had to use smbprint and ASPFILTER. Installing ASPFILTER will
> install a host of programs. You need them all. Pay careful attention to
> what type of printer(s) you install in GHOSTSCRIPT. Be sure to select
> SAMBA printing in ASPFILTER. I had to select something close to the HP890=
> but it works fine.

This is the bit where I once floundered with apsfilter back at FreeBSD
4.4 Stable, and again (even with a new printer!) here I find myself
unable to locate *anywhere* at apsfilter.org / ghostscript.org any
documentation that suggests that my printer is supported. Although,
following a link from ghostscript.org to HP's linux support page, my
printer *is* listed there included as a printer supported with the hpijs
driver. Is HPIJS an option open to me with apsilter?

I understand that you yourself weren't able to find your exact printer
for your set-up, so I ask this at this stage, as I've been informed on
this list that many HP DJ printers (usually the ones shipped here in teh
UK) are simply not workable under unix. For what its worth, I'm willing
to try again with apsfilter.
>=20
>  Let ASPFILTER adjust your /etc/printcap file.
>=20
>  You'll need a .config file in your spool directory (mine is in
> /var/spool/lpd/lp). It contains the server=3D, service=3D and password=3D
> variables needed for network access to the printer from the FreeBSD box.
> naturally you need to set up sharing on your Win2K box that matches this
> information.
>=20
>  I can't remember if I had to edit /usr/local/samba/smbprint or not. But
> make sure this file exists and jives with the info in your /etc/printcap
> file. Ditto for your spool directories. Make sure what's in your printcap
> directory really exists. I also found the logfile(s) handy.

The comments in smbprint advises:
#smbclient=3D/usr/pkg/bin/smbclient
# Assume that smbclient will be in the same place as smbprint

smbclient=3D"`dirname $0`/smbclient"

In addition to editing smbclient, do I have to move / symlink the
finished file to where smbclient is?

Thanks again for the help. I'll look forward to hearing from you again
soon.

Stacey

>=20
>  And don't forget to restart lpd when making changes at the command line
> with lpc restart all
>=20
>  I'm doing pretty well with my setup. It even prints in color.
>=20
> =3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=
=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D
>  Scary Gerry -- Senior Systems Manager
>  freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu
>  -For web-hosting, Perl, PHP & MySql=20
>   programming see http://www.interpool.ca
> -=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=
=3D-=3D-=3D-
>=20
>=20
>=20