Date:      08 Oct 1999 22:02:09 +0000
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Driver for GDT6517RD RAID controller

"Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> writes:

>On 8 Oct 1999, Randell Jesup wrote:
>> Are there docs on the differences, or at least on-line or available
>> docs on the 53c8xx chips?  Weren't the x810's 710's with built-in PCI
>> bus support?
>
>Essentially.  I was kind of hopeing you'd glance at the NCR driver and see
>if anything looked amiss.  Spliting out the bus front ends isn't a big
>problem but I really don't have the cycles to wrap my head around the
>53c7xx docs ATM.

	Ok, I'll glance at them.  Forgive me if I end up shuddering; I've
seen some of their code before.  I might end up rewriting it.... or at
least incorporating some of my ideas to minimize interrupts.  (interrupting
the CPU for SCSI state changes: bad).  For many IO's, I was able to take a
single interrupt (completion); few were more than 2 ints (one for
disconnect after a transfer (damn '710 processor can't do math), one for
completion - no ints for reselects, and I think none for disconnect
before any bytes are xferred - I forget.)

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com