Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:00:29 -0700
From:      "Jesse J. Gilleland" <jesseg@dakotacom.net>
To:        "'support@cdrom.com'" <support@cdrom.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD Installation problems

Hello.  I recently purchased a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.5 (Actually, my place of business purchased it for me)  I am having problems installing it to my harddrive.   First, the system I am installing it to is a 486dx2/80 w/ 32 megs RAM, 2.5 G harddrive, partitioned 50% to Win95 and the other 50% is empty.  My CD is a Funai-Panasonic (Cheap soundblaster kit) that FreeBSD doesn't seem to recognize as a drive, so I've copied the DISTS subdirectory into a FREEBSD directory on my C drive.  When I boot from the floppy, I can get through the installation, but when it starts to copy the DISTS from the harddrive, I get an error "Write failure on transfer  (wrote -1 bytes of 1024 bytes)

In what little paper doccumentation that comes with the system, it says that the drive geometry may be incorrect, and upon checking I found it was.   I corrected the problem but still get this error every time I try to install.

Any suggestions or Questions?