Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2022 06:56:54 +0100
From:      Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg-autoremove(8): portaudio, python38, sndio and tcl86

--------------URqT4HwJ1dLUysngagUA7Q6Z

On 08/07/2022 06:49, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:02 PM Graham Perrin
> <grahamperrin@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>     portaudio, python38, sndio and tcl86. Why do I find these four
>     repeatedly automatically installed but removable?
>
>     For example, an installation of tmux:
>
>     …
>

> I have been seeing this with both "pkg install" and "portmaster", but
> never with "make". My attempt to install the gcc11 package insisted
> that python38 be installed. Similarly, portmaster also though gcc11
> required python38. I have seen several similar cases in the past week
> where updates or installs insisted that ports need to be installed or
> reinstalled when the port had no such requirement. I'll start looking
> for these, but I think this might call for a bug report.
> …

Thanks.

For the python38 aspect, re:
<https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/vm3tkh/-/>; maybe worth noting
that at the affected computer, I have not (yet) followed any of the
procedures that are suggested to ease upgrading following the switch,
to3.9, of the defaultversionofpython3andpython.

--------------URqT4HwJ1dLUysngagUA7Q6Z

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAN6yY1sVu5N+P+UHQQzAKyQRJ3VeEmNrijMHFsSqGSawTMwdYg@mail.gmail.com">
            style="font-family:tahoma,sans-serif;font-size:small">On
            Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:02 PM Graham Perrin &lt;<a
              href="mailto:grahamperrin@freebsd.org"
              moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">grahamperrin@freebsd.org</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">portaudio, python38,
            sndio and tcl86. Why do I find these four <br>
            repeatedly automatically installed but removable?<br>
            For example, an installation of tmux:<br>
            …<br>
          class="gmail_default">I have been seeing this with both "pkg
          install" and "portmaster", but never with "make". My attempt
          to install the gcc11 package insisted that python38 be
          installed. Similarly, portmaster also though gcc11 required
          python38. I have seen several similar cases in the past week
          where updates or installs insisted that ports need to be
          installed or reinstalled when the port had no such
          requirement. I'll start looking for these, but I think this
          might call for a bug report.<br>
          …<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/vm3tkh/-/">&lt;https://old.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/vm3tkh/-/&gt;</a>; maybe
      worth noting that at the affected computer, I have not (yet)
      followed any of the procedures that are suggested to ease
      upgrading following the switch, <span data-rgh-whitespace="space"></span><span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"></span>to<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"> </span>3.9, of the <span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"></span>default<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"> </span>version<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"> </span>of<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"> </span>python3<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"> </span>and<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"> </span>python<span
        data-rgh-whitespace="space"></span>.</p>
  <lt-container></lt-container>

--------------URqT4HwJ1dLUysngagUA7Q6Z--