Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:17:54 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Matthew Joseff <mjoseff@hellenco.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CNAME vs A records (clarification)

Matthew Joseff wrote:

> Can someone correct and/or confirm my understanding of CNAME vs A records:
>
> CNAME should be used for a host that exists on (potentially) another
> server but uses that domain.
>
> A records should be used as an alias for a host but co-exists with other
> hosts.

	There is no such concept as "alias" in DNS. Erase it from your mind. A
records point hostnames to IP addresses. CNAME records point hostnames
to other hostnames. Except for very rare and temporary cases you
shouldn't use CNAME's at all, especially if you don't really understand
all of the implications. You should definitely NEVER use a CNAME on the
right side of an MX or NS record, it's a violation of the standard.

	I don't really understand your example, or what you're trying to get
at. But there is no reason at all you can't have multiple A records in
multiple zones pointing at the same IP address. If I've missed the
essence of your question, feel free to try and restate it...

Good luck,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"