Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Presence <presence@irev.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache vhosts question

  I'm going to jump in here too with my results:

my DNS tables look something like:

   irev.net.     SOA  ns1.ncsdi.net. root.irev.net.
                 IN      A           63.101.244.233
   www           IN      CNAME       irev.net.
   mail          IN      CNAME       irev.net.

and another domain would look similiar to the above like:

   root.ws.     SOA  ns1.ncsdi.net.  root.root.ws.
                 IN      A           63.101.244.233
   www           IN      CNAME       root.ws.

so there's specifically http://(www.)irev.net/ , http://mail.irev.net/,
and http://(www.)root.ws/  all pointing (with CNAME's!) to the one IP
address.  Apache (from ports, stock, I hate typing stuff) would look like:

  NameVirtualHost 63.101.244.233

  <VirtualHost 63.101.244.233>
        # irev.net (http://irev.net and http://www.irev.net)
        DocumentRoot /usr/home/webs/irev
        ServerName irev.net
        ServerAlias www.irev.net
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/irev/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/httpd/irev/access.log combined
  </VirtualHost>

  <VirtualHost 63.101.244.233>
        # mail.irev.net
        DocumentRoot /usr/home/webs/irev/twig
        ServerName mail.irev.net
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/twig/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/httpd/twig/access.log combined
  </VirtualHost>

  <VirtualHost 63.101.244.233>
        # root.ws (http://root.ws and http://www.root.ws)
        DocumentRoot /usr/home/webs/root
        ServerName root.ws
        ServerAlias www.root.ws
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/root/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/httpd/root/access.log combined
  </VirtualHost>

So what I'm doing (successfully) is the one line for the NameVirtualHost,
then each <VirtualHost> block uses that IP.  The ServerAlias lines cover
for urls with and without www's.  If something in DNS points to my IP,
and isn't listed in a <VirtualHost> block, Apache defaults to the first
<VirtualHost> block, which is convenient.

    Presence Morrigan o  Inner Revolution BBS  o  877-Im-31337
       http://root.ws/  o  http://irev.net/  o  root@root.ws