Date:      Tue, 30 May 1995 16:47:02 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG

<<On Tue, 30 May 95 14:03:58 MDT, terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert) said:

> Nobody thinks the fact that AlterNET has been toast for the past 3 days
> has anything to do with this?

Doesn't seem very crunchy to me.

> Seriously, there was major work on the SprintNET and AlterNET portions
> of the Internet backbone this weekend.

Oh, and while you're at it, we're not talking ``New England
Telephone'' here.  The appropriate trademarks are ``SprintLink'' and
``AlterNet''.  There is some evidence that SprintLink's people have
never read the DNS RFCs.

> This is a general problem in the base design of the InterNET, the use
> of ATM as an IP transport without IP support of source quench

BZZZZT! Wrong, but thanks for playing.  Well, the first and third
parts are wrong, the second part is correct.  That's why so many
people prefer to expand ``ATM'' as ``Another Technical Mistake''.
Unfortunately, with the telcos' and taxpayers' money behind it, were
likely to be stuck with this particular screw for some time to come.

> addressing of resources by host rather than by service, and the general
> lack of switchable redundant paths and smart software to cause the
> switching to take place in the face of congestion.

Nonsense.

> I'm currently going to San Diego to LA to San Jose to Vienna Virginia
> to Denver to SLC to Ogden to type this -- apparently, the NAP in
> California is stone-dead, at least as far as SprintNET is concerned.

MCI is happy to send my packets to FIX-West before handing them over
to Sprint for delivery to David.  (I never thought I'd say that MCI
actually did something right...)

> Makes you want to start your own Internet.

Makes you wish Terry would stop making these sorts of postings.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.