Date:      17 Sep 1998 00:47:29 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Co=EFdan?=  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & SLICE?

Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk> writes:
> After cvsupping yesterday (2300 BST, to be exact), config(8) does not recognize
> 'option SLICE' anymore. Unfortunately, removing SLICE from my config file
> stops the newly created kernel dead at the point where it switches  the root
> device to the hard drive (yes, I checked that it is switching to the correct
> device).

cp /usr/src/etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV /dev
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV all

BTW, you're gonna have a widdle bit more trouble than just that. Your
kernel will no longer config and compile unless you rewrite your
kernel config to use CAM. I'd recommend:

(edit, config, build kernel)
(edit /etc/fstab -> replace sdX with daX, stX with saX)
cd /dev
rm -rf *
cp /usr/src/etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV .
sh MAKEDEV all
shutdown -r now "New world and kernel"

At the "edit, config, build kernel" stage, you'll need to replace all
SCSI devices with the corresponding CAM devices (sd -> da, st -> sa,
od is out, ssc and su are out), add "options SCSI_CAM", convert your
SCSI_DELAY from seconds to milliseconds (i.e. multiply by 1000), and
set the boot device right (sd -> da).

Oh, and remember to create enough vty device nodes or init(8) will go
nuts when you reboot.

YMMV.

DES
--