Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:07:16 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), Jay Sachs <jay@eziba.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.java.mk and native jdk1.3.1p6

> I'm quite stubborn, I know:
>
> > 1) It requires alot of changes to the existing Makefile structure as
> >    released from Sun.
>
> Perhaps some ${SED} magic ? :-)

Unfortunately, it's not that easy (seriously).

> > 2) Even if #1 is done, we would have to maintain these changes on our
> >    own, and Sun has shown a propensity to radically change the build
> >    environment between releases, such that the work would have to be
> >    redone everytime a new release of the JDK was released.
>

> If we would be able to use ${SED} magic, then perhaps this won't be
> necessary?

See above.

> > 3) The number of times a user has to build the JDK should be *very*
> >    small (once every 6 months or so), so the amount of work saved
> >    vs. the amount of time saved is very little (IMO).
>
> Well, up until now, we have no JDK, so people do need to compile the whole
> thing :-)

Agreed.  Hopefully that will change soon.

> And even if we had a binary JDK: Making the life of the porters
> easier is in my opinion even more important than making the life easier of
> normal users ;-)

Sure, but having a binary version will make the life of the porters
*much* *much* *much* easier.  And, don't forget that the porters are
volunteers.

If you make the life of the porters too hard or place unreasonable
expectation of them, they may no longer provide any help to the normal
users.

Nate