Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:51:33 -0600
From:      Chris Jones <cdjones-freebsd-hackers@novusordo.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Jail-Aware Scheduling

Hi, folks --- as some of you might know, FreeBSD has a Summer of Code
project to bring resource limits to jails, and one part of that is to
permit an administrator to put limits on a jail's CPU usage.  That's
where I come in: I'm the guy doing the project, and I've been
spending the last two weeks coming up to speed on scheduling and the
like.

What I'd like from freebsd-hackers is the following:

   - are there any good references on scheduling that you know of
which I should read?  I've already got Design & Implementation of
FreeBSD and the Petrou / Milford / Gibson and Waldspurger / Weihl
papers on lottery scheduling.

   - what're your thoughts on making the existing scheduler jail-
aware as opposed to writing a sort of 'meta-scheduler' that would
schedule between jails, and then delegate to a scheduler per jail
(which could be very similar, if not identical, to the existing
scheduler)?  I've got some very preliminary thoughts on this, but I'd
like to hear what you've got to say, as I'm aware that this is
rather ... complex.

Thanks,

Chris