Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 14:06:06 -0600
From:      Ben Schumacher <freebsd@plinet.com>
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracking machine bandwidth

At 11:24 AM 6/14/98 -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
>HI there...
>
>We are looking at getting into co-location for a number of clients
>currently (we are using about 15% of our bandwidth in peak times, kind of
>a waste).

Sounds very similar to us.

>Our problem is that we need to track the daily/monthly bandwidth used by a
>customer's box that we will have no root access to or worse yet, might be
>an NT box.  Is there a mod we can make to MRTG or a similar program to
>track the bandwidth on 5 minute sampling that a particular box is using
>up?  We currently use MRTG on our Cisco routers and it works great.  We
>need a cost effective solution if possible.

We do the very thing you are talking about, but instead we track usage off
of our 3Com Switch.  You might want to look into getting a switch that
supports SNMP, this would certainly provide you with information you seek
and the interface with which to use MRTG.

Hope this helps.