Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 14:15:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeout when formatting 9GB Barracuda, scsi errors is missing time

As Andreas Klemm wrote...
> Hi !
>
> Encountered two problems with -current, which might be in -STABLE
> as well:
>
> a) scsiformat returned an timeout, when I formatted a Seagate
>    Barracuda. I don't know exactly, but it lasts a very long
>    time to preformat this beast.
>    Using scsiformat I wasn't able to preformat it.
>    I had to use Adaptecs scsiformat tool from DOS.

It think you need to change:

        # formatting may take a huge amount of time, set timeout to 2 hours
        echo "Formatting... this may take a while."
        scsi -s 7200 -f $RAW -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"

in the scsiformat script. 7200 is too low for big disks.

> b) Tonight the Barracuda got some things to do, a make release ...
>
> sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
> , retries:4
> sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
> , retries:3
> sd3: RECOVERED ERROR info:0x3900a7 asc:17,2 Recovered data with positive head offset field replaceable unit: ea sks:80,c
> , retries:2

>   What's the exact meaning of these messages ? I think the harddisk
>   has discovered a bad sector or such and repaired it ... Or what
>   do you think ? What is asc: 17,2 ???

Guessing mode: maybe the drive has trackfollowing errors and is trying
to go slightly off-track to get better signals on it's heads.

ASC: additional sense code

The 17,2 reads in the scsi spec as: Recovered data with positive head
offset

Great huh? ;-)

>   And here a suggestion from me ... would it be possible, that such
>   SCSI messages get a "date stamp" ?!

Might be very useful, but not only for SCSI messages I suppose.

W/
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --