Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 02:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/distfiles structuring

 * It seemed that distfiles is filled now with a flat bunch of tar.gz
 * balls plus a ports-like tree. I'm not sure if this is still a mess
 * with me here due to mirroring and suping or what mighht be the cause.

That's the new variable DIST_SUBDIR at work. :)

When this is set, the distfiles for that port is put into that
subdirectory of /usr/ports/distfiles.  It will also look into the same
subdirectory of ftp.freebsd.org's backup distfiles dir.  This is for
ports that have many distfiles or have distfiles that have a very
generic name (`Makefile', etc.).

It shouldn't increase the size of your port tree, unless I forget to
delete something from freefall's /usr/ports/distfiles.  Let me know if
you find duplicates.

Satoshi