Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:07:46 -0400
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane_E._Potvin?=" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
To:        "Alexander Sanda" <entropy@compufit.at>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Very strange thing happened today

I used to have the same problem on my scratch box

    Pentium 166
    Intel Advanced/EV motherboard
    32 Mo ram (EDO)
    3 IDE HD (2 IBM + 1 Quantum)
    CD-ROM IDE (Philips)

It started happening after a couple of crash due to SU entry into the tree.
I wouldn't be able to finish any make world on the box. It kept dying on
different files (usually in the gcc part of the build) which were corrupted
the
way you described. I finally gave up and did a 'cat /dev/zero > /dev/wd*' on
all my drives. Now the box is happily running 3.0-beta+elf+su without any
glitch
doing buildworlds in a loop (I just want to see which one of the quantum or
the
IBM will survive longer :) I can't say for sure that the problem was not
fixed by some commit in the tree but I found convenient to place the blame
on
a corruption in the fs that wasn't caught by fsck.