Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:20:31 +0100
From:      Lukas Wunner <lukas@design.de>
To:        "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Racks

Hi,

> Anyone have any recommendations for a decent rack?  I am looking for a
> rack that will hold a few rackmount cases (4 or 5 if we can fit them,
> standard 19" 4U cases), a 14" or 15" monitor on a shelf, and a UPS without
> fear of buckling or tipping over.  We currently have a rack from Datatel,
> and it is kinda cheesy.  The holes aren't lined properly, but it holds the
> few things we have on it, couple routers, CSU/DSU and a hub, UPS.  I am
> looking to spend under $500 per rack if possible, but am willing to go
> higher for better quality (definately under $1000 tho).

We currently use the racks made by Rittal. It's a German company but I
figure they seel their products worldwide. You may want to take a look
at www.rittal.de. We use racks of the PS4000 series, 600x600mm and a
height of 2m. We buy them w/o the skins and front/backdoor because it is
quite useful to be able to access the equipment from all sides. You have
to buy 19" rails and put them in the rack, and there's lots of stuff to
build into the rack (additional floors, glide rails etc; it's pretty cool).
The PS4000 racks are pretty stable in my opinion. If we would use the
skins, they would be even more stable. We probably stuff a couple hundred
kilograms into these boxes and we haven't experienced any problems so far.
The racks made by Schroff (www.schroff.de) are probably also quite okay,
I don't have as much experience with these.

	Lukas.

--
lukas wunner         unix, internetworking and security engineer
lukas@wunner.de      LW26-RIPE      http://www.wunner.de/~lukas/