Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:11:17 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Luc Morin <luc_m@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network stops working

Luc Morin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> here's something interesting.
>
> I noticed that under Win98, the DHCP server will assign me
> 24.201.143.157, and under FreeBSD it will assign 24.200.211.9
>
> How come ? Could this be a lead as to what's going on ?

Hmmm, this also sounds like an incorrect MAC address being detected
by the driver...
I thought not at first because you said it was working after the upgrade
but this really looks like it...
Have you got another FreeBSD system you could network them with? Because
if I am right when you boot into windows after being in FreeBSD, the other
system should give you an ARP message on the console saying IP x.x.x.x has
moved from <MAC> to <MAC>...

Since some cable providers work of your cards MAC address for what IP you
should get this seems probable... You are all using the ed driver?
Looks as if a some changes took place recently thats broken it for some
cards maybe... Or it could be something totally different :)

Good luck!
Kal.