Date:      Tue, 9 May 2006 16:06:22 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logs not being saved (/var/log/messages, etc)?

--ZJcv+A0YCCLh2VIg

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 12:19:12PM +0000, Matt Bostock wrote:
> I think I fixed it guys, thanks for all of your help.
>=20
> Syslogd was choking because /var/log/messages didn't exist. I touched tha=
t,
> restarted and all was working again. I did the same for the others (auth.=
log
> etc), and things seem ok now.

To stop it happening again, take a look at newsyslog.conf(5) and ensure
all permissions are correct, and that newsyslog(8) will create a new log
file or HUP the interested daemon as necessary.

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: D349 B109 0EB8 2554 4D75  B79A 8B17 F97C 1622 166A
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \