Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:47:08 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ashish@FreeBSD.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: recent portrevision bump for libvpx

Quoting Alex Dupre <ale@FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:08:39 +0100):

> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> When I made the EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS patch, I noticed that there is
>> not only libtool at fault (reaction of the libtool developers was IIRC:
>> it's not trivial to fix known problems for the cross-building case (for
>> libtool-1.x?)), but also pkg-config and similar things
>
> Yes, I know, it's correct what you say, but this doesn't prevent to
> improve things. I'm not saying that tomorrow we'll have a perfect

I didn't tell it to prevent things. Just to make sure everyone knows
the state of afairs.

> ports tree where all and only direct dependencies will be listed,
> but if we don't even start...
> Currently we have exactly the opposite case: ports that have direct
> (maybe not needed) dependencies to libraries that are not recorded
> in Makefiles. This is the root cause of "portmaster -r" or
> aggressive bumps.

It could be an option to call the script in each tinderbox build and
verify the result with what is available in LIB_DEPENDS. This would
require extending the script with recent additions to USE_GNOME,
USE_X11, ...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
BOFH excuse #383:

Your processor has taken a ride to Heaven's Gate on the UFO behind
Hale-Bopp's comet