Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 1996 08:27:30 -0700
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ls and anon ftp

Craig Shrimpton wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Finally have my virtual ftp server running but ls isn't working right.
> It needs pwd.db to properly set the user id in anon ftp.  I have tried
> the following:  pwd_mkdb -d /home/craigs /home/craigs/passwd to make a
> password db out of a small password file.  It tells me the file has a
> corrupt entry or is not in a proper format.  Is that the correct syntax for
> pwd_mkdb or does that need to run under root?

That is the correct syntax, but the password file has to be
in the master.passwd style, not the passwd style (there are
three extra fields - class, change and expire).  The only
fields that ls actually needs are name and uid, the rest can
(should) be blank or garbage.  The passwd(5) man page should
have the format for the master.passwd file (10 colon separated
fields).  Also, you shouldn't need to be root (probably a good
idea not to be, then you can't accidently wipe the actual
password files).
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798