Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2013 00:16:48 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-lists@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Peter Looyenga" <pl@catslair.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/doc doesn't seem to honour /etc/make.conf

"Peter Looyenga" <pl@catslair.org> writes:

> Because I don't want to remember all sorts of compile options, and because
> the documentation mentioned that this approach should work, I added the
> following two flags to my /etc/make.conf file:
>
> # Options for building FreeBSD documentation
> DOC_LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
> FORMATS="html-split txt"

That syntax would work in a shell script, but it isn't quite right for a
makefile. I think what you're after would be:

FORMATS = html-split txt

[I added a few unnecessary spaces for clarity.]

> This part immediately drew my attention: "line 661: Malformed conditional
> (!target(spellcheck-"txt html-split"))", and thus I commented out the
> FORMATS option from /etc/make.conf and instead used the following command:

as you expected

> make FORMATS="html-part txt" install clean, of course also from within
> /usr/doc.

You changed from html-split to html-part. Was that intentional? I don't
actually know what the latter is.

> This time the build process completed without errors, and as expected it
> also only build the English version of the documentation. However, on closer
> inspecting the results I noticed that it had only build the text version and
> a small portion of the HTML parts. For example; if I look into
> /usr/share/doc/handbook then the only HTML file I see is "trademarks.html",
> the several directories (install, mail, vinum, etc.) are filled with PNG
> image files, but no apart from the trademarks file I have no other html
> files at all.

Maybe you forgot to do the install step?

At any rate, with

DOC_LANG = en_US.ISO8859-1
FORMATS = html-split txt

in my make.conf, I got the results that I think you wanted, so one of
the errors I already pointed out is probably the source of your trouble.

I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, though, because those settings
will be applied to *every* build through make, and the word FORMATS
could easily turn up somewhere else. You could limit it to just /usr/doc
tree if you really want to keep it in make.conf, or alternatively,
writing a script in /usr/doc might be easier.