Date:      Fri, 26 May 1995 12:59:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@iagi.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "mb_map full" ?

On Sat, 20 May 1995, David Greenman wrote:

> >  On a current system (supped and built this morning), I just received a
> >"mb_map full" message in syslog just after starting a news feed to INN.
> >Everything "appears" to be working though.  INN is using mmap().  I
> >thought this bug was fixed long ago?  Or is something new?
>
>    Fixed? It's not a problem that can be fixed other than trying to make it
> dynamic (which would be quite difficult given the current mbuf cluster
> allocation scheme). Someone suggested making it a function of maxusers; I
> might do this someday. I would guess that you don't have options GATEWAY in
> your kernel, and thus the number of mbuf clusters is small enough that you
> occasionally hit the in-use limit. You can increase the limit with options
> "NMBCLUSTERS=512" (or more if you need).

Along these lines - we are running -current with a full news feed.  As
you may recall, I had posted some problems we were having with the system
freezing (latest inn port, etc).

In any case, several people suggested we add the following to our kernel
conf file:

#for News servers
options         "CHILD_MAX=128"
options         "OPEN_MAX=128"
options         "NMBCLUSTERS=512"

And someone also mailed me a patch for INN which apparently seals up a
memory leak problem.

I did all four things (applied patch and added above lines) and the
machine seems much more stable now.

I am mailing because I am wondering whether you can offer advice as to
either additional kernel options I may need to optimize this machine's
uptime, or values for the above options which may be more appropriate.

Thanks!

Alok K. Dhir
Internet Access Group, Inc.
adhir@iagi.net