Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:00:06 GMT
From:      "Steiner, Bernard" <Bernard.Steiner@lahmeyer.de>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: kern/121481: [gmirror] data rot on disk with gmirror

The following reply was made to PR kern/121481; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Steiner, Bernard" <Bernard.Steiner@lahmeyer.de>
To: "Dan Naumov" <dan.naumov@gmail.com>, <bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:50:02 +0200

 Dan,

 > RAID offers protection against very specific kinds of disk
 > failure and does not offer any kind of protection against bit
 > rot. I want to emphasize that this is not a FreeBSD issue,
 > but a RAID issue in general and you will run into exact same
 > limitations if you try raid on Linux or Windows or hardware

 I was asking for -w to be implemented by gmirror, and/or graid6
 (double parity) be implemented (also with -w or even -w2 ;-)

 > raid from any hardware vendor. For another example of a fault
 > that RAID mirror will NOT protect you or even warn you
 > against, is your disk/raid controller going berserk and
 > writing garbage to the mirror or one of it's member disks.

 ACK. This is exactly why I want a check on the data read.

 > [checksumming utilities]

 Please explain how to do that on both sides of a gmirror.
 AFAIK, gmirror can be configured in the following ways:
 (1) always read from "primary" disk => cannot check secondary
 (2) round robin or load => read cannot be reliably reproduced

 Correct me if I am wrong, but this does not seem like a solution
 to my problem.

 > [ZFS / Solaris]

 I think I *like* ZFS (raidz2) and probably go with that.
 Solaris' future is uncertain in the light of SUN's future...

 I think maybe I'll wait a while till the warning is edited out
 of ZFS in FreeBSD and give it another shot.

 Bernard

 --
 i.A. Dipl.-Inform. Bernard Steiner
 Netzwerk- und Systemadministrator

 Lahmeyer International GmbH
 Friedberger Strasse 173, 61118 Bad Vilbel, Deutschland/Germany

 Geschaeftsfuehrer/Managing Directors:
 Dr. Henning Nothdurft (Vorsitzender/President), Burkhard Neumann

 Firmensitz/Registered office: Bad Vilbel
 Registergericht/Registry court: Frankfurt am Main HRB 80852

 Internet: http://www.lahmeyer.de/
 Disclaimer: http://www.lahmeyer.de/disclaimer/