Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2012 14:17:20 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Subject:   Re: no keyboard after booting r235646 in laptop FS Amilo D 7830

Hi,

On Sunday, July 01, 2012 01:58:49 PM Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El d=EDa Sunday, July 01, 2012 a las 06:29:28AM +0700, Erich Dollansky es=
cribi=F3:
>=20
> > > and no older versions. I will install the USB booted system to harddi=
sk
> > > and hope when booted from disk and not from USB the keyboard is worki=
ng.
> > >=20
>=20
> I installed the system r235646 to disk and it shows the same problem: no
> keyboard;
>=20
ok.

> > if 7.4 still runs but not anything after 8.0, it is most likely what I =
have written. Some USB hardware is not supported anymore in 8 and later.
> >=20
> > I would install the old one just to see  You will also know wat hwardwa=
re is used there and how it is supported.
> >=20
> > This might be the faster route before starting debugging something whic=
h is not there.
>=20
> I said already that it works with a r214444 version, CURRENT from
> October 2010; so I booted this again and concerning keyboard, here is
> the diff:

Of course, I have read it but forgot about it then.
>=20
> r214444:
>=20
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
>=20
> r235646:
>=20
> $ fgrep -i kb /tmp/dmesg-r235646.txt=20
> atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0065
> atkbd: keyboard ID 0x41ab (2)
> sc0: fb0, kbd1, terminal emulator: scteken (teken terminal)
> atkbdc0 failed to probe at port 0x60 on isa0

It must be the probing routine then. My keyboard here is at acpi but not on=
 isa0.

Is all in the kernel which is needed for isa? It should be, but a check cou=
ld help.

> So the question is: why the <Keyboard controller (i8042)> is not
> detected anymore in r235646, while it is in r214444?
>=20
Maybe the hints from man will help you:

Kernel configuration:

     options KBD_RESETDELAY=3DN
     options KBD_MAXWAIT=3DN
     options KBDIO_DEBUG=3DN
     device atkbdc

Are they still there?

/boot/device.hints:

     hint.atkbdc.0.at=3D"isa"
     hint.atkbdc.0.port=3D"0x060"

I do not know if some defaults have changed.

Erich