Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:44:27 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOS emulation (was Re: Networking in PCEMU (1/2))

Michael Smith writes:
>Eric L. Hernes stands accused of saying:
>>
>> Have any of you all had a look at bochs?  It's on my list
>> of `to look at' and maybe do a port of, but it's low priority.
>> It's supposed to have most of 80386 stuff working.
>>
>> http://world.std.com/~bochs/
>
>Yeah, well.  It builds trivially under 2.1 (haven't tried on -current,
>expect it will there too) with an include fix, but it's a bit limited
>functionality-wise.  It's also dog-slow, even compared to PCemu.

I've got a piece of hardware here with an embedded 80186 that I'd like
to emulate, if I didn't have to spend much time on it.  That's kind
of what I was looking at here.  Then someone mentioned adding 286
support to pcemu and I thought this might be a starting point, having some
80386 support etc...

>What we _need_ is for the kernel vm86 stuff to happen so that DOScmd

and how.  I wish I could help here, but that stuff is just a bit
out of my league :(

>--
>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[
>]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
>]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
>]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
>]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com