Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 20:51:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.freebsd.org!hackers, ponds!staff.communique.net!mango
Subject:   Re: newfs and crash...under 2.2-beta

> Hello there;
> 	A few days ago, I try to upgrade my server to version 2.2-beta.
> 	The instalation went smouth, but when I tried to newfs the new
> 	dHard Disks I was adding to the server, the system would crash.
>
> 	This would happen with the generic kernel, and with a few custom-
> 	built kernels.  I could use the machine for quite some time, but
> 	whenever I run newfs, the system would hang within 10 seconds.
>
> 	2.1.6R had no trouble reformating the drive.
>
> 	- Seagate elite 9 W gig drive
> 	- adaptec aha 2940UW controller
> 	- pentim pro tyn motherboard
> Raul Zighelboim
> mailto:mango@communique.net
> Communique Inc.
> http://communique.net

 I've reported similar problems with 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 (I haven't tried
it yet with 2.1.6.1).

 Did you alter the number of inodes or any other newfs parms? (Or,
perhaps the install now uses a different set.)

 What was the panic - was it "freeing free inode" or "duplicate inode"
or something else?

	- Dave Rivers -