Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 95 11:09:14 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, mmead@goof.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Fix for 3C509 (ep) driver

> I have fixed another bug in 3C509 driver that prevents FBSD from
> network booting through other connectors than BNC. Now it will
> use transceiver specified in the EEPROM instead of select based
> on interface flags.

>From my reading of this, this means that it's better for remote boot
from the card, since now it's possible to designate the interface,
but it won't resond to specific use of the "link" flags?

I think specific use of the link flags is still desirable; I have
more than one machine that I switch between nets using the link
flags to do the job because I don't want to crap on the main wire
with experimental code.

Perhaps "link0" should be the card default and "link1", etc. should
pick specific card connectors?

Also: for card that support dual interfaces, it's frequently true
that it's possible for the probe routine to pick the interface
correctly and automatically by picking an interface that knows
about being disconnected from the net first, followed by the one
that doesn't know if it's on the net or not.

Clearly, this wouldn't work for my machine with multiple wires hooked
up, but for the typical installation, it could cause the ethernet
driver to simply "do the right thing".

Does the idea of having link type flags need to be revisited?

	link	description
	-----	----------------------------------------------
	0*	Do the right thing based on connectedness
	1	Use the EEPROM settings
	2	AUI
	3	BNC
	4	...

* indicates default behaviour

It almost makes sense to go away from the current numeric identifiers,
as ugly as that might be...

Finally: Many cards support determining the IRQ and memory addresses
dynamically based on knowing the I/O address to INB from.  This
doesn't seem to be in there for a lot of the cards known to do this?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.