Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:54:02 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for newsyslog.c

For the record, as someone who is paid to use Solaris, whose newsyslog is
the equivalent of banging two rocks together, FreeBSD's newsyslog is
fantastic.

> Suggested optional feature for newsyslog.c is to enable timestamp (or
> similar) in the renamed files.

Since no single naming scheme is going to satisfy more than a few, how
about a configurable expression incorporating date values in strftime(3),
as used by date(1), incorporating file paths.

For example, using %f for the log filename (conveniently not used by
date), a field such as /archive/%b/%d/%f would save /var/log/messages as
/archive/Jul/06/messages, whereas just %b/%d/%f would save it as
/var/log/Jul/06/messages and %f.%a would save it as messages.Fri. A
default of - would behave as it does now.

While this sounds ambitious, I would hope that code could be swiped from
date(1) and/or other utilities and incorporated without great difficulty.
At a pinch, you could just call date.

Since I'm no coder, I'll happily test.

Oh, while you're at it, how about doing it in perl so I can slap it on my
Solaris boxes?

-Andrew-