Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 1995 12:04:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   i386/867: APM resume not rx'd with 3Com589C in PCMCIA slot

>Number:         867
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Notebook with APM and 3C589C in PCMCIA freezes after suspended
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.0.5 / FreeBSD 2.1.0
>Environment:

	digital HiNote 433 notebook (supports APM version 1.1)

	compiled with APM suppport

	3Com 3C589C PCMCIA card installed in slot 0

	zp driver for the above card configured into the kernel

	On a DEC HiNote 433 notebook APM functions fine as long as i don't
	plug a 3Com 3C589C into the PCMCIA slot - if i do, and want to
	APM-resume after a APM-suspend, the display is switched on but
	nothing more happenes.

	(compiling with APM_DEBUG defined: without the card i get the
	 suspend and the resume message, with the card i just get the
	 suspend message but no resume message; compiling with
	 APM_SLOWSTART=5 makes no difference if that matters)

>How-To-Repeat:

	On a DEC HiNote 433, compile a kernel with APM support and the
	"zp" driver and place the system into suspend mode by either
	executing zzz or close the cover. The machine will freeze and
	never wake up again - the power has to be cycled.

>Fix:

	In if_zp.c got from the 2.1 tree:

	     *      From: if_ep.c,v 1.9 1994/01/25 10:46:29 deraadt Exp $
	     *      $Id: if_zp.c,v 1.6.4.1 1995/08/19 23:27:14 davidg Exp $

	delete the following statement on line 726 of function zp_suspend():

             pcic_power_off(sc->slot);

	When compiled with APM support, the power switching is completely
	controlled by the APM BIOS. When the system is suspended by the
	apm driver, it is done with a parameter specifying to handle ALL
	devices and this obviously interferes with switching the power off
	for a PCMCICA slot in the device specific suspend hook routine.

	After the deletion of the above mentioned statement the system
	can be suspended and resumed in the above described configuration
	without errors or other side effects.

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe