Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:56:12 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@complx.LF.net>, Damian Gerow <damian@sentex.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Daily/weekly/monthly output aggregation

At 03:41 PM 11/17/2003, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

>We plan to replace the mailed output by centrally collecting the
>results and defining some sort of "needs action" output.

As a developer I'd like to throw my 2 cents in; although this stmt may come
as no news to anyone else imho the issue is what to parse out as
significant. With the underlined caveat that once you make (what's in
essence then) a policy decision about what system output is significant
enough to pass along to the admin as worthy of review the danger is in
everything that /isn't/ passed along.

At least now you've got the gnawing feeling that you're behind in reading
the stuff; once you implement a system to decide what's worth reading
you've gotten rid of that guilt pang. Should that evolve into a sense of
false security - well I can only speculate how many server crashes could've
been avoided if not for feelings of false security.

I have my own thoughts about how something like this could be done, but
it's based more on my experience as a developer than as a sysadmin, and tbh
I have no experience as an isp owner.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site