Date:      Wed, 29 May 2013 09:11:58 +0200
From:      joris dedieu <joris.dedieu@gmail.com>
To:        Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: using ports or gems (easy_install)

2013/5/28 Albert Shih <Albert.Shih@obspm.fr>:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to known how you manage your gem (ruby) or easyinstall
> (python). Do you use ports ? or directly gems or easyinstall ? or both ?
>
> For exemple when you want install some software with lots of dependances
> you can use (if the software use easy_install) just one easy_install and
> everything is installed, you can use ports for some packages but sometime
> not every packages are in the ports so you should need to installed it
> through easy_install.
>
> After that same question about updating....
>
> So what you do ? And why ?

I  never ever mix ports and non ports.

If I need specific, I use virtual contexts like  virtualenv, RVM or
perlbrew. This way, I can :

- upgrade the ports without breaking end user application (only have
to take care of shared libs).
- install specific versions required by specific software with cpan, gem, p=
ip
- install several versions of modules and interpreter on the same server

Joris