Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:38:27 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Joshua Byrnes <jbyrnes@w-link.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HDD setup & boot questions

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 10:35:38AM -0800, Joshua Byrnes wrote:
> ***Going with the assumption that I will have to install the MS-Operating
> System on the first partition of drive 1, what are the requirements/ options
> in where I can Install FreeBSD and Linux?

Just about anywhere.

> Can I have HDD1 all for MS-OS and HDD2 for FreeBSD and Linux?

Sure.

> Or is there a location requirement that I need to follow.

I don't know what flavor of Linux you plan to use, and if I did it
wouldn;t help too mauch to answer, but I really doubt Linux has too
many requirements either. Just watch out for the fact that Linux uses
slices (MS-DOS-style partitions) for partitions.

> I have read about the requirement of the root file system
> needing to be installed within the 1024 cyl.  Because my BIOS can handle
> very large HDD, am I still limited by this?****

Wouldn't think so.

Just so happens in the last week I have installed second HDDs in two
machines. One is M$ OS on drive one and FreeBSD on drive two. Both
OSes boot just fine from BootEasy. The other machine has FreeBSD 4.0
on the first drive and my old FreeBSD 3.4 on the second. Both work
fine. Oh, and there is one machine that I have been using for a while
that has Windows on drive one and FreeBSD on drive two. But on that
machine, I did not want to touch the first drive so I just have a
floppy that starts the boot process and takes it to the second drive.