Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2022 09:22:48 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Effect of using SATA 2.x and 3.x in zfs mirrored config

On 03/06/2022 23:12, Dale Scott wrote:
> [...]
Steve et al are correct. ZFS is very robust and mismatched drive
performance is not an issue. With mechanical drives you expect a
mismatch (access time) and they get worse over time, and different
drives are always being added to arrays via all types of HBAs. Newer
drives tend to be faster

There are questions, however. For example, does a synchronous write drop
to the speed of the slowest drive in a mirror? POSIX demands the data is
in non-volatile storage, but one copy should be enough and that could be
in the zil rather than it's final resting place. It's obviously going to
affect performance but I doubt you'll notice.

Regards, Frank.