Date:         Fri, 04 Jul 97 18:56 PDT
From:      Denis DeLaRoca                       <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@CRH.CL.MSU.EDU>
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up MBONE on 2.2.2

On Fri, 4 Jul 1997 21:17:53 -0400,
   Charles Henrich <henrich@CRH.CL.MSU.EDU> said:
> Okay, I used to have the mbone stuff working, PRE 2.2.2 with the rc.conf
> changes.  Is the 224.0.0.0 route still neccesary?  What other items needs be
> done to a 2.2.2 box to get the mbone up and running?  What can be done to test
> the link?
>
> I added the 224.0.0.0 default route, however my sdr is still showing no
> sessions, and im almost (almost) positive the campus mbone router is
> functioning properly.  Anyone have any ideas?

If, as you seem to suggest, you have native multicasting on your local
LAN then you don't need any special route to join multicast groups. You
can try doing

        mrinfo <first-hop-router>

to see if your local router is configured for multicasting; the mrinfo
would show you relevant pim/dvmrp configuration information. Also, a

        tcpdump net 224

would quickly show you if multicast traffic is present on your local
LAN segment.

-- Denis