Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:13:44 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Too many open files...

Hi...

	I'm running a news server on a FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT machine (it
was CURRENT when I upgraded to it way way back) and have just added a
few news feeds onto it.  Over the past couple of days, I've started to
get the following error, which I'm assuming is a result of now having
more newsfeeds then my currently compiled kernel can handle (am upgrading
to the Feb 3.0-CURRENT over the next few days:

news> ctlinnd mode
Server throttled Too many open files writing article file -- throttling
Allowing remote connections
Parameters c 14 i 0 (28) l 1000000 o 115 t 300 H 2 T 60 X 0 normal specified
Not reserved
Readers separate enabled

	Am I correct in doing the following to fix/reduce this problem:

hub# sysctl kern.maxfilesperproc
kern.maxfilesperproc: 2088
hub# sysctl kern.maxfiles
kern.maxfiles: 2088
hub# sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=4096
kern.maxfiles: 2088 -> 4096
hub# ^files^filesperproc
sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=4096
kern.maxfilesperproc: 2088 -> 4096

	Am more or less wondering if I've set the correct values...

Thanks...