Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 17:06:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   make world

You know, there are several things installed by a make world that I
*really* wish I could condition out via a make veriable:

perl	:	I want to maintain my version at 5.003, not 4.036
groff	:	I want groff install to stop overwriting the
		/usr/share/groff_font/devlp/download file, so all
		those neat fonts I bought from WC stay installed.
tcl	:	I want my version at 8.0a3, not the _old_ 7.5

There are others, probably, but these come immediately to mind.  Others
might not want them because of all the "bloat" complaints (I'm *not*
complaining about bloat).  I'd accept personal responsiblity at my site
for maintaining the choked off parts.

Would it be possible to add a variable to the make files so that some of
this stuff would be ignored on build and install?  Well, I know it's
logically possible, I mean politically possible or desireable?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |